2006/10/16, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> 2006/10/16, Tim Ellison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
>> > When we bring new platforms how will we make sure that a patch for some
>> > rare platform would not break another one?
>>
>> Beyond sniffing the patch to ensure it looks reasonable, the best a
>> committer can do is to test it on the platforms he or she has available.
>>  After that we rely on the diversity of the community building and
>> testing the code to catch any problems; i.e. the change doesn't
>> necessarily end with the commit, it may still have to be backed out.

And the hope is that we'll have the project's CI system running on lots
of places.

> How will we define which changes should be backed out?
> Do you mean that we first define list of "supported" platforms
> and then we will roll back all the changes that reportedly break
> build on one of that platform?

Yes - I think that we'll eventually get to that state formally, and
we're there now informally.  I suspect that a change to support IPF that
broke x86 would be backed out w/o a complaint :)

> What would be the procedure to add a new platform to the list of
> supported ones? (Well I assume it's a vote, but what are the criteria
> to be used in that vote?)

I think that having "criteria" for use in a vote misses the point -
because otherwise we'd determine based on the criteria and not need to vote.

So, you mean that criteria is judgement? ;)
Somehow it works...

Thanks,
Mikhail

I think that it will be based on having people interested in working on
it and size of user population.  If we decide that we're going to
support a platform, it's a lot of work we're taking on....

geir