On 20 October 2006 at 10:11, "Geir Magnusson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mark Hindess wrote:
> > On 20 October 2006 at 9:31, Tim Ellison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> FWIW:  Below are the results of running RAT on a windows snapshot.
> >> For some reason it complained about lack of ASF block comments in
> >> DLLs, and proceeded to dump them to the console, so I chopped them out
> >> of the report.  Looks like mainly missing block comments in emconf
> >> files.
> >>
> >> I suspect that it will be helpful to do this on an HDK snapshot, plus
> >> on a source drop (that we don't produce at present, but should IMO).
> >
> > I'm looking at modifying the federation build to have a source drop
> > target.  It looks like doing:
> >
> >   svn export . target/src
> >
> > and modifying the build.xml to cope with the lack of svn files might
> > be a good start.  I'll probably take a little more work but I'll get
> > something checked in so we have something to work with.
>
> Wait.

I don't think I have much choice.  It's more likely you'll be waiting
for me. ;-) It's not as trivial as it sounds[0] so I'm sure this
discussion will be done before I'm ready to check anything in. ;-(

> Why not just do a tar/zip on the working_classlib and working_vm with
> a filter to keep out the generated stuff?

This was my first thought but it didn't take long before I decided I had
to think again.  I think it is much too error prone.  Consider figuring
out which .so files are generated/downloaded and which are in svn.
Repeat for dll files, jar files, etc.  Then keep this up to date.  It'd
be a full-time job.

svn export does just the right thing.  It takes only the stuff you get
from svn but without the .svn files.  This seems much less likely to
turn around and bite us.  (Though even this isn't without issues.)

Regards,
 Mark.

[0] not as trivial as I was expecting that's for sure