On 20 October 2006 at 12:52, "Geir Magnusson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mark Hindess wrote:

> >> Wait.
> >
> > I don't think I have much choice.  It's more likely you'll be waiting
> > for me. ;-) It's not as trivial as it sounds[0] so I'm sure this
> > discussion will be done before I'm ready to check anything in. ;-(
> >
> >> Why not just do a tar/zip on the working_classlib and working_vm with
> >> a filter to keep out the generated stuff?
> >
> > This was my first thought but it didn't take long before I decided I had
> > to think again.  I think it is much too error prone.  Consider figuring
> > out which .so files are generated/downloaded and which are in svn.
> > Repeat for dll files, jar files, etc.  Then keep this up to date.  It'd
> > be a full-time job.
>
> A *real* unix hacker would walk the tree looking at .svn/entry files ;)
>   In Perl.  in less than 20 lines.

;-) It's Friday night so I'll bite...

It'd be a (longish) one-line on unix, perhaps something like:

  find . -name 'entries' -print|while read e; do
    sed -e '/ name=\"/!d;s:.*name=\":'${e%.svn/entries}':;s/\".*//' <$e; done

but I'd be trickier under Windows (unless we assume everyone has Perl
which even I know is unrealistic).

But I disagree, a *real* hacker would:

 a) look for a tool that is meant for the job,
 b) look for a tool that is meant for something entirely different but
    which happens to do the job very well, or
 c) writes it in sh, awk, sed, or Perl

If I always rushed straight to step c) I'd never be able to make a cup
of tea in the morning.  (My house is quite automated so Perl can put
the kettle on but can't yet make the tea.)

Regards,
 Mark.