On 10/25/06, Weldon Washburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 10/24/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Weldon Washburn wrote:
> > It seems JIRA is down for maintenance.  If HARMONY-1904 is still open
> > perhaps it makes sense to put a counter in the while (...) { select...}
> > loop. And after every N loops, print a warning/diagnostic message.
>
> For whom and to what end?  Why not just return EINTR (in hysock speak)?
>
> > The
> > value for N would have to be tuned.  I don't know what the best number
> > would
> > be. Given that 1904 patch is not the final solution, at least a
> diagnostic
> > that hints at where the system hangs would be useful.  It might make
> sense
> > to even print a stack trace.   Also, I agree with Ivan below.  Signals
> bugs
> > are very hard to debug.  And diagnostics can help us all understand the
> > corner cases better.
>
> But so far, no one has shown that the system hangs, or can hang, simply
> because we return EINTR....

Sorry for not being clear.  I was reacting to the patch in 1904 itself.  Not
the bigger issue of fixing the upper layers to comprehend EINTR.  My
understanding is that this patch does not fix the problem.  This patch does
not return EINTR.  If for whatever reason this patch is committed, I
recommend adding the above diagnostic code so that we don't dig ourselves an
even deeper hole.

If it is decided 1904 should not be committed, it might make sense to
close it with  "won't fix".

I would prefer to close it as fixed when the correct solution will be found.

--
Ivan