If you mean libxlib, how it could be used without X server? Maybe some
other library (e.g. font library like xft) simply preloads it during
its initialization or tries to connect to the server (XOpenDisplay) to
get some data, fails and uses defaults?

Anyway, I think, testing on a headless environment will help us to
determine the requirements.

On 10/25/06, Martin Cordova <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> (e.g. for linux we need to exclude all xlib calls, right?). <<

How implemented IBM their headless stuff? In their case it's a
requirement to have XOrg shared libraries installed to have headless
working. In order distros it was XFree libs. No need for an X server,
just the libs.

Regards,
Martin Cordova

On 10/25/06, Oleg Khaschansky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Right, that is my question too.  I've seen the general description at
> > the URL Oleg sent, it's hardly a spec tho'.
> I don't think that spec for this exists.
>
> Another document on this is [1]. It describes what can and what cannot
> be done in headless mode. But we also have the list of methods which
> throw HeadlessException (from the API spec).
>
> > Presumably it is easier for us to find all the methods that are declared
> > to throw a HeadlessException, and put in the isHeadless() test right
> > now, so we can have a compliant headless implementation before the GUI
> > is completed?
> This is only a part of a task. We may also need to guard native
> initialization code which depends on system configuration with
> isHeadless checks (just skip it in headless mode). And, probably,
> provide an alternative simplified implementation for some awt code
> which could be called in headless mode to prevent from falling into
> hardware-dependent native code (e.g. for linux we need to exclude all
> xlib calls, right?).
>
> [1] http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/Desktop/headless/
>
> On 10/25/06, Tim Ellison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Martin Cordova wrote:
> > > Oleg, I just read it, does this mean that all methods that don't need
> > > to throw the special Headless exception, are ready to work in headless
> > > mode?
> >
> > Right, that is my question too.  I've seen the general description at
> > the URL Oleg sent, it's hardly a spec tho'.
> >
> > Presumably it is easier for us to find all the methods that are declared
> > to throw a HeadlessException, and put in the isHeadless() test right
> > now, so we can have a compliant headless implementation before the GUI
> > is completed?
> >
> > > If so, we are just a step away for supporting headless?
> >
> > well we still have to get all the imageIO, print, font and other code
> > working that is required in headless mode.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tim
> >
> > --
> >
> > Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])