On 10/29/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

1) The Logging Debate That Won't Die - we don't want to encumber our
"production" code with logging or even with runtime enablement checks
for logging i.e.

      if (logging.isDebugEnabled())

but it's clear that some people still want to use it for debugging.

Just a small idea: Let teach JIT to purge this code unless special option is ON
? Doing this we solve performance issue at least .

If we did this, I assume that our build becomes a two step process,
first pre-process the code to create  separate "buildable source", which
would go into source jars and such for debugging purposes.  Then our
current javac/jar process.

I'd also like to be able to work in an IDE with the pre-proc stuff
invisible if possible...

This is the main problem. Backporting of your changes from the "buildable
source" to the "source with preprocessor" could have more overhead then
support of a separate branch for different Java version.

--
Mikhail Fursov