Chris Gray wrote:
On Sunday 29 October 2006 14:04, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
[...]
3) Java ME - We've had some interest (Chris?) in looking at using the
Harmony classlib for ME, which can also have some differences that might
be most conveniently kept in place in the main codebase.

Yes, I'm still here and still waiting for an answer to my last mail about bringing Mika to the incubator ...

I thought you were off trying to figure out IP provenance.

[...]
First, anyone think this is a good idea and second, anyone have any
experience with tools in this area?

For JavaME I think it's the only way we'd be able to maintain a single source tree. We need to be able to "#ifdef out" references to classes we don't have, methods we don't implement, etc..

That much being said, I don't have a recommendation for a tool to use. Java syntax is sufficiently C-like that cpp is probably do-able, but we'd probably stumble over a whole series of gotcha's, and cpp isn't exactly [deity]'s gift to preprocessing anyway. Maybe one of the aspect-oriented tools (with which I am not at all familiar) could be a better bet?

How? Doesn't that tend to work on the bytecode? I know that I'd be uncomfortable with anything where there wasn't a clear source tree produced.

geir

Cheers,

Chris