> ...equally as scrupulous to include religious views with which you disagree?

Good question. . Even though the Sinagoga conservador/masorti "LaJavura"
library could fit in your back pocket, instead of blowing the budget on 5
copies of the same jumash, I bought
the Marcos Edery conservative movement jumash,
the neutral Katznelson bible,
the Daniel Karpuj mostly middle-of-the-road ashquenaci orthodox Pentateuco,
the sefardic orthodox HaMercz jumash and
the Plaut (in english unfortunately) reform jumash.
I bought them so that we could compare translations and commentaries when we
read and discussed the parasha ha-shavua. I realize that I am incredibly
prejudiced in the selection of any book other than a jumash.

In all other respects however, I find I am incredibly prejudiced in my
selection of library material. I stay away from anything that depresses me. I
will never willing buy a book on the Shoa. The library has 3 classics on the
subject but other than those, the subject gives me the creeps and nightmares.
Besides that, it seems to be the only subject that is translated into spanish
and sold in the bookstores so I figure if anyone really feels the need to dig
into it they should go to the local bookstore and have at it.

I have copies of a modern orthodox (both ashequnaci and sefardic) sidur and
majzor. I even bought the Shuljan Aruj on purpose, but I keep my distance from
anything mesianic or kabalistic. The Church pushes these topics and there's
not a catholic book store that does not have shelves full of kabala and
mesianic tracts. My purpose in life is to promote conservative judaism so when
push comes to shove, I will give a nod to the other branches never denying
their right to exist and will not speak ill of them but will not promote them,
either.

I find that I focus on neutral stuff. Things you can not find in any book
store around these parts. Music books. Israeli and sefardic cookbooks; I run
and hide from any cookbook that has recipes for gefilte fisch or russian
borscht. Israeli kiddie books in hebrew for ages 0-6 about new baby brothers
and sisters, chicks and ducklings. Modern israeli fiction tanslated into
spanish. If I have to choose a subject about Israel I will never pick the
conflict part of  palestinian-israeli relations. I prefer the Ostrich School
of Thought and prefer information on Israeli archeology and agricultural
exports. I can not say that it is right of me to be so prejudiced. I have
tried to analyse its source.

The television here is so lop-sided. I sat at the same study desk, learned
spanish and drank tea for 5 years with muslims from all over the
mediterranean. I live in a town with 3 mosques. The xenophobic part of the
valencian population is prone to paint obscenities on the walls or throw lit
torches in through the open doors of the mosques.

I think my prejudices are conditioned by where I live. I've noticed that the
prejudices that I had 15 years back when I lived in the u.s.a., are either
comatose or dead. Sometimes the prejudices in the choice of literature for the
synagogue library reflect the tone I consciously or unconsciously want to set
from within  probably to counter or equilibrate the influence of the attitudes
of the weird world outside.

A library may not be evenhanded but it does have a tone which reflects the
attitudes of the micro-world in which it finds itself.
The tone of a public library or a university library is wild and violent
(quite pleasant, really) with all those conflicting opinions.
The tone of a children's library is all fluffy and innocent and full of
missing puzzle pieces.
The tone of my library seems to be: Don't worry be happy, have something to
eat.

Besos de Valencia
Alba Toscano
Sinagoga conservador/masorti "La Javura"
Valencia (Spain)
http://www.uscj.org/world/valencia