We are about to embark on the same project.  At this
point, we have had to confront the same dilemma with
our blossoming DVD collection.

So far, we have chosen what seems to be the least
expensive route that still allows for some security
(as our library is accessible even when unstaffed).

As you mentioned, we display the empty DVD cases on
the shelves.  The DVDs (or CDs) themselves are placed
in a loose-leaf binder in pages that are designed to
hold these type of discs.

Since DVD cases are larger than CD cases, we plan to
purchase either a shelf insert or other type of
display option that will better hold CD cases.

If you find a way to search for particular songs
without having to catalog it in yourself, please let
us know!

L'Shalom,
Poshi Mikalson
Congregation B'nai Israel