I want to bring to your attention this outstanding new book from
Oxford University Press.  It is highly appropriate for academic and
special libraries as well as for larger, comprehensive synagogue or
school libraries.

Susan Berson
Librarian
Congregation Emanuel
Denver, Colorado

In MUSIC IN THE HOLOCAUST, Shirli Gilbert provides the first large-scale,
critical account of the role of music among communities imprisoned under
Nazism. She documents a wide scope of musical activities, ranging from
orchestras and chamber groups to choirs, theaters, communal sing-songs, and
cabarets, in some of the most important internment centers in Nazi-occupied
Europe, including Auschwitz and the Warsaw and Vilna ghettos. Gilbert is also
concerned with exploring the ways in which music--particularly the many songs
that were preserved--contribute to our broader understanding of the Holocaust
and the experiences of its victims. MUSIC IN THE HOLOCAUST is, at its core, a
social history, taking as its focus the lives of individuals and communities
imprisoned under Nazism. Music opens a unique window onto the internal world
of those communities, offering insight into how they understood, interpreted,
and responded to their experiences at the time.   ISBN 0199277974