I thank Efraim for his cogent criticism of ASESINO, directed by Nurit
Kedar (Keidar?), which I had recommended in an earlier posting.
Having trusted the very knowledgable programers of The Toronto Jewish
Film Festival, who selected ASESINO for screening in 2003, I had no idea it
was so deeply flawed. I did see it on May 7, and it left a very strong
impression which stays with me even today. I've looked at this review:

   "Disappeared: A Flawed Film on Argentina's Past Blames Wrong Party",
   by Noga Tarnopolsky. The Forward, May 16, 2003.
   <http://www.forward.com/issues/2003/03.05.16/arts1.html>

Tarnopolsky, described as "a freelance writer living in Jerusalem and
a frequent contributor to the Forward... is writing a book on the
disappearance of five members of her family", completely agrees with
Efraim's comments. She notes: "Research has shown that they were not
sought out specifically because of their Jewishness (the Argentine
military had the Stalinesque ambition to rid the nation of leftists,
intellectuals and thinkers - in short, anyone who could be defined as
'subversive') but were treated significantly worse than non-Jews when
in detention."

This fits with Efraim's comment that "the Jewish 'desaparecidos' were
not at all 'Jewish martyrs'. They were martyrs or victims of Human
Rights violations, in the most of the cases [where they were] 'of
Jewish origin". However, I offer two points in support of my earlier
contention with which Efraim "deeply disagree[s]". First, I think it
reasonable that the (mostly) young people who were "disappeared" came
to their beliefs in social justice and human rights in some
significant degree because of their Jewish education and/or cultural
background. Second, as Tarnopolsky says (and as has been noted in an
earlier posting) the Jewish prisoners "were treated significantly
worse than non-Jews when in detention", no doubt because of the
inherent anti-Semitism of the military regime.

Tarnopolsky also confirms "that Israel did in fact sell arms to the
Argentine generals for years" and says that Prime Minister Shamir
"explain[ed] that Argentina, like apartheid-era South Africa, was a
'devil' with which Israel found itself obliged to deal in arms in
order to guarantee the survival of its indispensable military industry."

While I find it very difficult to accept the 'realpolitik' of such
behaviour, especially considering how corrupting it can be to
national Jewish values, I was also enlightened by Tarnopolsky's
description of how the Israeli embassy "developed a policy of handing
out false passports to individuals - Jewish or not - who managed to
flee detention centers or who felt their lives in danger. Israel's
embassies in Buenos Aires and in Santiago, Chile, functioned as de
facto nerve centers for those needing to escape, and in this way
hundreds of lives were saved. No other country comported itself in a
comparable manner."

Unfortunately, in her careful and nuanced review Tarnopolsky does not
comment on the film's claim that the Knesset only debated the
question of Jewish "desaparecidos" and the overt anti-Semitism of the
Argentinian military regime after the junta was overthrown and the
Argentinian government returned to civilian control. Perhaps this
point can be clarified by others on the list?

By the way, I hope members of the list don't think that this
discussion of the film is off-topic for Hasafran, because there may
be libraries which either already have a copy of it or that may be
considering it for purchase.
Shavua tov,
         Bernard.

Bernard Katz, former head, Special Collections and Library Development
                            McLaughlin Library, University of Guelph
    author, descriptive bibliog. of L.M. Montgomery's books (in progress)
    and founding treasurer, AJL - Ontario Chapter

Ha-Safran (The Librarian)