Dear safranim,

Below is an announcement by a Boston area author and his NY area
co-author who will at my synagogue's book fair this year.  I thought
it might be of interest to you.  Here's their
blog:   <http://www.thefaithbetweenus.com/>http://www.thefaithbetweenus.com/

Ann Abrams, Librarian
Temple Israel, Boston

FROM AUTHOR PETER BEBERGAL:

My book, The Faith Between Us, co-authored with Scott Korb, with a
foreword by Freakonomics author Stephen J. Dubner, is available now
from Bloomsbury. The book tells two distinct but interrelated
religious stories both towards and away from faith. Filled with
stories of my struggles with Judaism and Scott's Catholic religious
struggles, Faith tells the story of a faithful friendship above and
beyond tradition, and even belief. (Please some advance reviews below.)

We'd love to send a copy of the book to your library for you to read
and pass around, and if you think you might like to have a book
discussion when Faith comes out in the fall, or possibly plan an
event with us, we'd be delighted.

Best wishes and thanks for your consideration. I hope to hear from you.

Peter Bebergal

  617-864-8393

<http://www.amazon.com/Faith-Between-Us-Catholic-Meaning/dp/1596911433>The
Faith Between Us: A Jew and a Catholic Search for the Meaning of God

Publishers Weekly starred review:

"What's the saying? Never discuss sex, God or politics if you want to
keep your friends? In this particular case, the questions of faith
and God are actually what brought Bebergal and Korb together,
initially through a correspondence related to their writings for
various online magazines. Faith was not something either particularly
discussed with their other friends, even though both hold advanced
degrees in religion. Like a conversation that continues all night
into the early light of dawn, this collection of stories is filled
with the deepest of personal feelings and confessions as well as the
mundane details of everyday life. The format­the telling of a story
by one, followed by a reflective epilogue by the other­highlights not
only the seamlessness of their dialogue, but the depth of their
friendship and understanding of each other. No topic is taboo; amid
their questioning of faith and God come tales of addiction, neuroses
and ineptitude. These thirty-somethings are as diverse as their
upbringings, yet between them they represent a little bit of all of
us in this thoughtful, engaging debate about the virtues of faith and
the existence of God."

  "A magical conceit, a true dialogue between friends on a subject
that dearly needs to be talked about."

   -- Stephen J. Dubner, coauthor of Freakonomics

   "When was the last time two men sat down and wrote about their friendship?

This is a beautiful book - frank, open, searching. It is, to be sure,
a 'religious' book, but its great virtue is that it erases the
quotation marks around that word and makes religious insight and
longing seem, like friendship, a natural part of the world."

   -- Jonathan Rosen, author of Joy Comes in the Morning

   "This is the book for this moment. In an era of rigid (and false)
dichotomies -- when one is told to be either a blind believer or a
dogmatic atheist -- Bebergal and Korb offer a third way, the path of
respect, of common sense, of dialogue rather than doctrine.  There
are fewer hot topics today than religion, and this book provides an
accessible, heartfelt, compelling, and ultimately inspiring message
that will speak to many of us, religionists and secularists alike."

   --Niles Elliot Goldstein, author of Gonzo Judaism and founding
rabbi of the New Shul in Manhattan