One simple way to go is a VHS/DVD-R player/recorder.  It has one slot
for a VHS cassette and another for a DVD player/recorder. Most have a
quick/simple transfer mode that copies the tape onto the DVD with the
push of one button. You can buy one at Costco or most electronics
stores for about $200.  I've had one for maybe 4 years.

One major caveat, however, is that most commercial VHS tapes are
copy-protected.  Whenever my machine  encounters one of these it
reports that the tape cannot be transfered.  There are ways --
illegal -- to beat encryption but I can't help you there.

The other consideration is that, at least in my case, the transfer
takes place in real time.  If the video is 2 hours long, then the
transfer takes 2 hours.

-- Lee Jaffe, UC Santa Cruz