I am taking the liberty of posting this announcement in the hope that
a professional
publication by an AJL member may be of interest to readers of this list.

The Continuum International Publishing Group has published the second edition
of my book, THE STORY OF LIBRARIES: FROM THE INVENTION OF WRITING TO
THE COMPUTER
AGE. The ISBN is 9780826429902 and the list price is $27.95. Some excerpts from
their press release:

"In this fully updated edition, Fred Lerner continues to explore the
ways in which
men and women collect and organize the records of human experience. Updated to
include our ever-expanding technology, Lerner describes the crucial
role libraries
played in ancient Egypt, Han-dynasty China, the ancient Western Classical world
(the great library of Alexandria, which was lost to us in stages over
many years),
the Baghdad of Harun-al-Rashid, and medieval and Renaissance Europe.
It continues
with the libraries of colonial America, the Library of Congress,
university libraries,
and today's large public library system.

"Perfect for the aspiring and situated librarian, The Story of Libraries is a
brief historical narrative, not an exhaustive statistical survey.
This is a history
of one of the most enduring of human institutions, one nearly as old as history
itself."

More information is available from:  Kimberly Petit, Marketing &
Sales Associate,
Continuum International Publishing Group; Tel: 212-953-5858 x 121;
Email: kpe...@continuum-books.com

Fred Lerner, D.L.S.
81 Worcester Avenue
White River Junction, Vermont 05001