Before I answer Nancy's question, I want to thank the Seattle
committee for an excellent, informative conference. As a first-timer
at the AJL event, I found many sessions of genealogical and
historical interest.

It was also great to reconnect with old friends and meet new ones.
I'm looking forward to Montreal in 2011.

Now to Nancy's question:

Nancy Poole <npoo...@triad.rr.com> asks about the surname JUIF in France.

It is a very strange name for anyone whose family was **NOT**
originally Jewish.

In Spain, specifically around the famous city of Girona, families
bear the name JEU - Catalan for Jew. They know their history and
background and could have changed their name, but didn't.

Many Jewish families were converted to Catholicism by force in other
countries and moved at some point to France. The Hugenots were
originally Jewish as were many currently Catholic families. Current
research in the province of Quebec, Canada, indicates that many
originally Jewish families settled there.

With so many historical negatives surrounding such a name, a
non-Jewish family would certainly have changed it. An originally
Jewish family may have either changed it or kept it as a remnant of
their heritage.

As a genealogist, I certainly believe that there is a strong reason
the family kept that name.

Schelly Talalay Dardashti
Tracing the Tribe: The Jewish Genealogy Blog
http://tracingthetribe.blogspot.com
sche...@tracingthetribe.com