Hi, all.
  Our special collection will be named for two Wise Temple
librarians--I'm sure many of you knew and worked with Judy Carsch,
and maybe a few of you even knew Judy's predecessor, Bess Shavzin.
   We are beginning the process of making the all the changes in our
online catalog records for this special collection, and then I will
be able to publicize it more broadly. But meantime, here is the
approximate statement to expalin our collection--this will eventually
go up on our website and in our publicity.  The very last paragraph
will be implemented when we are finished with the catalog
update.  Your comments are welcome!
Andrea
====

The Shavzin-Carsch Collection of Historic Jewish Children's Books

WHAT IS THE SHAVZIN-CARSCH COLLECTION?

    It is a major collection of historically significant books of
Jewish content written for children and teens. The collection is
named for Bess Shavzin and Judith Carsch, who served consecutively as
Wise Temple's librarians for 49 years­from 1950 until 1999.

WHY IS THE SHAVZIN-CARSCH COLLECTION IMPORTANT?

    While there are many special collections of children's literature
highlighting the experiences of varied cultures, locales, and time
periods, the Shavzin-Carsch Collection is unique in its focus on
children's literature of Jewish content.

   Teachers, librarians, and researchers interested in historical
trends in Jewish children's literature on subjects such as
immigration to America, the Holocaust, family life, religious
teachings, acculturation and identity, Israel, prejudice and
anti-Semitism, or in the works of particular authors and
illustrators, or in changing styles of writing and illustration for
children, will find the materials in the Shavzin-Carsch Collection to
be valuable sources.

WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE COLLECTION?

Books of Jewish content for children and teens, written in or
translated into English, published from the late 19th century through
the 1960s, make up this collection.  These materials include
textbooks and educational material published for students in Jewish
religious schools.

      With few exceptions, all titles listed in the earliest
children's bibliographies of the Jewish Book Council and the Jewish
Book Annual, going back to the first such bibliography in 1947, are
part of the collection.

   WHO MAY USE THE COLLECTION?

   The Collection is open to all researchers, with the caveat that
its use is confined to the main reading room of the Ralph and Julia
Cohen Library of the Isaac M. Wise Temple, Cincinnati, Ohio.  The
Cohen Library is one of the largest synagogue libraries in North
America.  It contains over 21,000 items in all areas of Judaica.  In
addition to the (x) number of titles in the Shavzin-Carsch
Collection, the Library contains approximately five thousand Jewish
children's books, videos, and CD's.  New children's titles are added
each year, and these include recipients of the Sydney Taylor Book
Award, the National Jewish Book Award winners for children and young
adults, and books of Jewish content which have won other prizes such
as the Newbery, Caldecott, and Batchelder Awards.

   The holdings of the collection can be viewed at the
www.wisetemple.org website by clicking on the Ralph and Julia Cohen
Library tab, then on the icon for the Shavzin-Carsch Historic
Children's Book Collection. [this is not set up yet].