Dear Safranim,

We are in the process of setting up our library catalog on-line using
OPALS Library Software.

We have a question for those who are also using OPALS.

We would like to make searches easier for our patrons by having the
search turn up relevant items regardless of whether the patron uses
the Separdic or Ashkenazi spelling of the search term.  For example
we would like a search for "shabbas" to find items in the catalog
that have the subject "shabbat," "sabbath," or "shabbos," even if the
subject "shabbas" does not appear in the marc record.

We would also like searches to account for nicknames.  So that a
search for "Maimonides" would turn up items that have "Moses ben
Maimon," or "RAMBAM" in a subject field.

The same issue can occur on an author search where the patron
searches "Moses ben Maimon" and we want the search to turn up works
where the marc record has "Maimonides" in the author field.

Unfortunately OPALS does not currently have authority files where
these alternate names and spellings could be specified.

We are thinking we will need to add subject fields to each marc
record where there are these type of variations.

Is anyone concerned about this issues.  Please let us know your
thinking and how you are handling it.

Thank you so much.

Anna Lazaroff
B'nai Havurah