Shalom,

 From time to time there are postings to the list asking for people
who have access to a particular database or print journal to locate
and send specific articles. I have wondered about the propriety of
responding to such requests. It is certainly admirable if someone is
willing to devote their time to helping a fellow librarian obtain
information. But in many cases, online databases are commercial
products for which libraries pay subscription fees, and are required
by contract to limit access to users within their own institutional network.
I'm not familiar with the fine print of the contracts, but I surmise
that there may be a problem in forwarding materials to people outside
the institution.
[If Nevo, or other resources, are freely available, then of course
this objection would not apply].
I don't recall whether this issue has been discussed here. Is anyone
able to shed light on this matter? Are there professional guidelines
regarding forwarding of subscription material?
Is this a legal question, or one of professional ethics?

Sincerely
Yosef Branse
University of Haifa Library