Rabbi
David Ellenson, Dr.
Daniel Gordis
Thursday, January 19, 2012
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
1 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
FREE AND
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
More
information:http://www.adultjewishlearning.org/pdf2/Winter2012.pdf
Join us in celebrating the publication of Dr. Ellenson and Dr. Gordis’ new
book, Pledges of Jewish Allegiance: Conversion, Law, and Policy-Making in
Nineteenth- and Twentieth-Century Orthodox Responsa.This exciting public
dialogue will feature two of the most influential Jewish scholars of our day,
Dr. David Ellenson and Dr. Daniel Gordis. Probe the challenges to Jewish
self-definition in the modern period by examining a wide array of legal
opinions on conversion and intermarriage, written by nineteenth- and
twentieth-century Orthodox rabbis in Europe, the United States, and Israel, and
discover how these rabbinic decisions are, in fact, attempts to define policy
for Judaism in the modern period.
Elizabeth F. Stabler
Librarian
Stettenheim Library