From: Thomas, Stefanie <thomas.2...@buckeyemail.osu.edu>
Date: Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Subject: Research question regarding Japanese translations of Kabbalah texts
To: "galro...@osu.edu" <galro...@osu.edu>

 Dear Mr. Galron,

I received your contact information from ... after inquiring of him whether
he knew a person who might be able to aid me in answering a question
related to the research I am currently conducting for my master's thesis.
My name is Stefanie Thomas; I am a second-year MA student specializing in
modern Japanese literature.

The property I am analyzing for my master's thesis features allusions to
both Gnosticism and kabbalistic literature (primarily the Zohar and
Lurianic tracts). In the text "An Entrance to the Zohar" by Rabbi Yehuda
Ashlag (Dr. Philip S. Berg comp. and ed.), four colors are mentioned in
reference to the Sefirot Hokhmah, Binah, Tiferet, and Malkhut: white, red,
green, and black. In the property I am analyzing, four characters who could
be tied to these spheres of emanation by virtue of similar Gnostic concepts
are clothed in white, red, blue, and black.

My question is as follows: In Japanese, the color green, particularly when
mentioned in a context related to nature, can be translated as "aoi," i. e.
"blue." If that is the case here, kabbalistic references to this color
quaternity would apply to my analysis. However, I find myself unable to
determine whether this is the case, as Japanese copies of these texts
unfortunately seem unavailable even via the ILL system. Would you happen to
know how I could investigate this matter further/know an individuum who
might be familiar with Japanese translations of Kabbalah texts?

Thank you very much in advance.

Sincerely,

Stefanie Thomas