We don't do a whole lot, though someone reads stories to the little guys. But
once a month I meet with the 4th-7th grades separately. My goal in those short
sessions is to introduce the kids to general Jewish literature, so we read
aloud and discuss stories and/or poems by noted authors such as I.L. Peretz and
I.B. Singer, with some info on their lives, the Yiddish language, their themes
and how they relate to Jewish values, etc. I also introduce the kids to stock
characters, such as the fools of Chelm and the righteous man in the guise of a
beggar, and I like to do something on humor. (Whatever engages those rascals!)
Occasionally I'll talk about a contemporary middle grade or Y.A. book to bring
up discussion topics. Oh, and one other thing I do at the beginning of each
school year for the 4th and 5th graders is a "treasure hunt" through the
library. I give them a list of things to find, and they work in pairs to fill
out their list. It's a pretty lively activity! Though I'm a professional
librarian (retired now to write full time), like the rest of our "staff," I'm a
volunteer so I don't get to meet with the kids as often as I'd like to. Still,
we do what we can, eh? Good luck!

Lois Ruby
Congregation Albert - Albuquerque, NM

www.loisruby.com
Author of ...
Steal Away Home and Soon Be Free
The Secret of Laurel Oaks, Rebel Spirits, and
The Doll Graveyard (now in Scholastic Book Fairs!)
Watch for my new ebooks, too!