Michelle,

I have catalogued all the holiday books together. For example, picture books
and non-fiction on Rosh Hashanah all have the same call number. I know it's not
the way it should be done, but finding the books is so much easier for the
teachers who never use the catalog anyway and in a library that is not always
staffed.  There are labels on the shelves and most of the books are
color-coded. The shelves and the books are easy to find. I don't worry too much
about alphabetical order because people usually just want to browse and the
number of books in each category is not so large that browsing becomes a burden.

This system only applies to the picture books and juvenile non-fiction.  Young
adult and adult books are catalogued in the traditional way.

It seems to work. You have to trust that those borrowing the books can
distinguish between fiction (picture books) and non-fiction although in kids'
books, the line frequently blurs.

Aileen Grossberg
Lambert Library
Congregation Shomrei Emunah