I too want to thank all the organizers and leadership for their hard work
in planning, and now decision making. We are all so sorry that this
wonderful conference could not go forward, but at this point canceling it
was absolutely the responsible thing to do.

Annette

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 6:06 PM Elliot H. Gertel via Hasafran <
hasafran@lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> I applaud Dina, Kathy, and AJL Council for making this very difficult
> decision as the health and safety of potential attendees is what has to be
> foremost.  There really was no other choice but to cancel the 2020 AJL
> Conference.
>
> Please note that ALA made the same tough choice yesterday and canceled the
> 2020 Annual Conference in Chicago:
>
> *http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2020/03/american-library-association-cancels-2020-annual-conference-due-covid-19
> <http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2020/03/american-library-association-cancels-2020-annual-conference-due-covid-19>*
>
> The American Library Association has made the difficult decision to cancel
> the Annual Conference & Exhibition scheduled for June 25-30, 2020, in
> Chicago.
>
> We wanted you to be among the first to hear the news
> <https://www.em.compusystems.com/click.html?x=a62e&lc=WMU&mc=Z&s=Pi0U&u=H&y=S&z=fLqgSKc&;>.
> We are grateful to you for registering for the conference and know that you
> share in our disappointment that we will not be meeting this summer.
>
> We will be in touch in the coming days and weeks to discuss your
> registration and provide information about potential alternative engagement
> opportunities.
> Thank you for your continued support of ALA and we ask that you be patient
> with us as we work through this unprecedented situation.
> ------------------------------

> Elliot H. Gertel  אליהו־צבי גרטל / עלע־הערש גערטל
> AJL-ALA Liaison
> Chair, 2020 AJL Fanny Goldstein Merit Award Committee
> Irving M. Hermelin Curator Emeritus of Judaica
> The University of Michigan
> Ann Arbor, Michigan
> eger...@umich.edu
>

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 3:22 PM Kathleen Bloomfield via Hasafran <
> hasafran@lists.osu.edu> wrote:
>
>> [image: logo for AJL 2020 conference in Evenston]
>> AJL Conference 2020 Update: March 25, 2020
>>
>> After much research, discussion, and deliberation, the Association of
>> Jewish Libraries has decided to cancel our annual conference scheduled for
>> June 29-July 1, 2020 in Evanston, IL.
>>
>> We know that you are disappointed in hearing this news, but the AJL Board
>> felt strongly that there was no other choice to make given the uncertainty
>> of the progress of COVID-19 (the novel coronavirus).
>>
>> We will be in touch soon with information for those who have
>> pre-registered for the conference and with information about potential
>> alternative opportunities for us to share our knowledge and skills. Our
>> hope is to have answers to these questions soon, but with the situation
>> changing so rapidly, and Passover on the horizon, it might be a few weeks.
>>
>> Thank you for your continued support of AJL. We appreciate your patience
>> as we work through this unparalleled situation. The Board and Council hope
>> to have resources available for members related to librarianship in this
> [...]

Annette Goldsmith, PhD
Librarian, Sephardic Temple Tifereth Israel, Los Angeles, CA
Chair, Global Literature in Libraries Initiative (GLLI) 2020 Translated YA
Book Prize Committee
Currently reading: *The Brave Cyclist: The True Story of a Holocaust Hero*
by Amalia Hoffman; illus. by Chiara Fedele (Capstone, 2019)

 "A book is like a world you can carry around with you." Liniers,
*Written and Drawn by Henrietta*  (TOON Books, 2015)