I am so happy for my friend Susan Kusel, who has won the ALA Equality
Award! Here's the press release, and I also want to share what she wrote on
Facebook, because it's very significant that ALA is recognizing Jewish
advocacy work as being worth celebrating. Here's the press release:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2023/05/susan-kusel-named-winner-2023-ala-equality-award__;!!KGKeukY!3vuWq6ZSn47LBLXdrcex4EjnrVMUt2jjB_LF59U4yItNfZ2W6K51H_QcVcRESAw6oAFyGDE2_NZGyQ8Qp9-JRGx7Wud_Io23ZMIuW8IPYRk$

And here are Susan's own words, in which she shouts out AJL:

A big and unexpected moment and career high that I can't quite believe.
Thank you to the American Library Association for selecting me as the
recipient of this year's ALA Equality Award.
With thanks and gratitude to the members of this year's committee: Dora Ho,
Skip Dye, Keahiahi S. Long, Shay Ramsey-Martin and Robin Sofge and to ALA.
Thank you for recognizing me, but much more importantly for recognizing
Jewish advocacy work as significant and worth awarding.
With deep thanks to Heidi Rabinowitz, who has been my partner for so much
of this Jewish book equity work. I am so proud of the projects and
communities we have created.
Also thank you to my colleagues at ALA and the Association of Jewish
Libraries and to everyone in the library, bookselling and publishing fields
who have been so supportive of Jewish books. Thank you to my synagogue
colleagues and library patrons, who I have been working for.
I am also honored to be recognized for my mentoring. That is truly an
important part of my professional life and I am so proud of my mentees and
what they have accomplished.
I really feel this is a group award, for all the work we have done
together, to expand the world of Jewish books for all Jewish and non-Jewish
readers. We have done so much... and we have so much more to do.
Toda raba.
http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran%40lists.osu.edu/maillist.html
Earlier Listserver:
http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran%40lists.osu.edu/maillist.html