On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 05:13:29PM +0000, Miguel Negrao wrote:

> A 27/02/2013, às 14:58, Stefan Kersten escreveu:
>
> > hi miguel,
> >
> > On 27 Feb 2013, at 13:07, Miguel Negrao
> > <miguel.negrao-li...@friendlyvirus.org> wrote:
> >> I would like to draw in Haskel simulations of turing patterns, cellular
> >> automata, etc. Basically I will only need to take an array of pixels and
> >> draw it to the screen directly. What is the best Haskel graphic library
> >> and functions to do this ?
> >
> > i've been using diagrams [1] lately --there's also an animation package
> > [2]-- but maybe it's too slow for realtime. imo opengl would be a good
> > option if you're already familiar with it ...
>
> I know diagrams but it is more suited for working with primitives then with
> direct pixel manipulation. I already have some opengl experience in Haskell,
> but since it’s for 3D stuff I assumed it would be overkill. Would the Haskell
> SDL bindings be a better option then opengl, or should I go with opengl ?

Indeed, diagrams is not very well suited for drawing pixel arrays.
Have you looked at gloss [1] and gloss-raster [2] ?  IIRC gloss-raster
has some impressive examples rendering real-time pixel-array based
animations.  It's built on top of opengl but lets you work at a higher
level.  It sounds like it might be perfect for what you want.

-Brent

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/gloss
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/gloss-raster