Hi Joel,

I've been working on a library to parse binary data files (java bytecode in my case), and I ended up writing my own DataReader monad for the purpose of reading binary streams. It offers two main features:

* It keeps track of how many bytes you've read. This is necessary for reading java bytecode, but probably unnecessary for the protocol you're using.

* It supports hierarchical error messages (so you see "error while reading foo: unexpected end of input" instead of just "unexpected end of input").

If you're interested, you can check it out here:

  http://www.kimbly.com/code/JavaBytecode/

Kim