I have faced these issues twice, always starting from Lisp and moving on somewhere else. There's more on my travails at http:// wagerlabs.com/tech and http://wagerlabs.com/uptick.

I implemented a poker engine in Lisp but it appeared that to deliver it on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX I would need to buy 3 commercial Lisp licenses. The total cost would have been about 4K euro + maintenance fees for LispWorks and about 18K USD + 25% maintenance fees for Allegro CL. Allegro also comes with royalties of less than 10%. Windows Lisps are GPL so I could not use them.

What turned me off with poker was trying to write a Reliable UDP protocol handler and having a lot of trouble with threads and timers for some reasons. Fortunately, I discovered Erlang, quickly rewrote my poker backend and have been happy since. That is until I discovered Haskell :-). I'm now thinking of rewriting various chunks of the engine in Haskell (hand ranking for example) to see how it feels and what I gain. Concurrent Haskell coupled with transactional memory looks attractive as well.

I also started with Lisp for my trading systems project (Uptick) but was turned off even faster this time. I investigated what it would take to write code that overloaded +, *, etc. for arrays or lists and what it would take to optimize this code. It's possible but it's not elegant or pleasant.

I love a good challenge and the challenge of learning Haskell is like no other. It does require me to rewire my brain and to think different. There are a number of applications where Haskell fits nicely, google for papers on audio processing, robotics (Yampa), etc. I have yet to find an application where Lisp would shine over everything else.

    Joel