On 08/06/2013 04:30 PM, J. Stutterheim wrote:
Thanks Chris. Yes, I like lift as well, because I find it a rather intuitive
name. Unfortunately, as you say, it is already a commonly used name as well,
which might make it slightly confusing.

When I hear `unit` I immediately think about generic programming, not so much
about monads. Can you perhaps explain the intuition behind `unit` as an
alternative to `return` in the context of monads?
Probably because of the monad laws, where `return` is a "unit" (in the mathematical sense) for the `bind` operation. - chris

- Jurriën