Hi,

as for wxHaskell, it is currently maintained at
https://github.com/wxHaskell/wxHaskell, compilable with wxWidgets 2.9.5 and GHC
7.6. Work is underway to fix various bugs introduced over time by changes in
wxWidgets, but we (i.e. https://github.com/wxHaskell?tab=members) hope to
release & announce in not too much time.

cheers,
Atze

On  30 Sep, 2013, at 20:32 , Conal Elliott <co...@conal.net> wrote:

> Hi Conrad,
>
> Great. The challenge is not specific to Pan, Vertigo, etc. If we can get some
> low-level GUI platform working with the characteristics I listed, I can
> resurrect and my high-level libraries accordingly. Any GUI program containing
> at least one OpenGL window would probably get us most of the way there
> (again, noting the properties I listed).
>
> -- Conal
>

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 1:40 AM, Conrad Parker <con...@metadecks.org> wrote:
> Hi Conal!
>
> Yes. I'd be very interested to help get Pan and Vertigo working. Do you have
> a repo somewhere?
>
> Conrad.
>

> On 27 September 2013 13:32, Conal Elliott <co...@conal.net> wrote:
> I'm polling to see whether there are will and expertise to reboot graphics
> and GUIs work in Haskell. I miss working on functional graphics and GUIs in
> Haskell, as I've been blocked for several years (eight?) due to the absence
> of low-level foundation libraries having the following properties:
>
> * cross-platform,
> * easily buildable,
> * GHCi-friendly, and
> * OpenGL-compatible.
>
> The last several times I tried Gtk2hs, I was unable to compile it on my Mac.
> Years ago when I was able to compile, the GUIs looked and interacted like a
> Linux app, which made them awkward and upleasant to use. wxHaskell (whose API
> and visual appearance I prefered) has for years been incompatible with GHCi,
> in that the second time I open a top-level window, the host process (GHCi)
> dies abruptly. Since my GUI & graphics programs are often one-liners, and I
> tend to experiment a lot, using a full compilation greatly thwarts my flow.
> For many years, I've thought that the situation would eventually improve,
> since I'm far from the only person who wants GUIs or graphics from Haskell.
>
> About three years ago, I built a modern replacement of my old Pan and Vertigo
> systems (optimized high-level functional graphics in 2D and 3D), generating
> screamingly fast GPU rendering code. I'd love to share it with the community,
> but I'm unable to use it even myself.
>
> Two questions:
>
> * Am I mistaken about the current status? I.e., is there a solution for
> Haskell GUI & graphics programming that satisfies the properties I'm looking
> for (cross-platform, easily buildable, GHCi-friendly, and OpenGL-compatible)?
> * Are there people willing and able to fix this situation? My own
> contributions would be to test and to share high-level composable and
> efficient GUI and graphics libraries on top of a working foundation.
>
> Looking forward to replies. Thanks,
>
> -- Conal

                - Atze -

Atze Dijkstra, Department of Information and Computing Sciences. /|\
Utrecht University, PO Box 80089, 3508 TB Utrecht, Netherlands. / | \
Tel.: +31-30-2534118/1454 | WWW  : http://www.cs.uu.nl/~atze . /--|  \
Fax : +31-30-2513971 .... | Email: a...@uu.nl ............... /   |___\