Peter Simons wrote:
In my humble
opinion, it's unfortunate that many tutorials and
introductionary texts leave the impression that monadic code
would be something utterly different than "normal" Haskell
code. I feel it intimidates the reader by making a monad
appear like black magic, even though it's little more than
syntactic sugar to describe implicit function arguments.

I'm scared of monads :) I really don't know what a monad is. All I know is that you need it for IO because IO implies side-effects and I know that "Monad" is a very scary-looking word :)

If we'd have an opaque "World" type instead of the IO monad,
'putStrLn' would be:

  putStrLn :: String -> World -> World

That seems less scary.

Cheers,