On Jul 23, 2006, at 1:20 AM, Matthew Bromberg wrote:

I do want to understand the advantages of Haskell. My approach has been to consign the heavy imperative, state manipulating code to C and leave the higher end stuff to Haskell. The nature of my problem (a simulation) necessitates holding state for efficiency reasons. (e.g. I don't want to copy a 500 MB matrix every time I change an entry.) I assumed that Haskell would be easier to write and perhaps maintain than the horrors of pure C. At this point there is no turning back. I will probably answer this question soon enough.

Hi Matthew,

It seems that a lot of your issues stem from the design decision to implement a good chunk of your program in C. There are certainly ways to implement an indexed data-structure in Haskell with good performance for persistent functional updates. Alternatively, you could write imperative code in Haskell to update the array in place non-persistently. So, the decision not to use Haskell for that part may be a case of premature optimization.

Cheers, David