Well, actually, I never cited the non-breaking space character as a problem. I'm referring to math symbols which do not get successfully translated into an intelligible symbol in the screen reader browse buffer.
Regards,
Paul

At 17:46 23/02/2007, you wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 03:34:54 +0000, you wrote:

>and can I please ask anyone thinking of using special symbols to
>resist the temptation.
>Symbols such as the &160 used liberally in the Haskell wikibook are
>totally invisible to screen readers.

I can understand the desire to avoid special characters, but out of
curiosity, what exactly is the problem with screen readers and the NO
BREAK SPACE character (which is pretty ubiquitous in HTML)?

Steve Schafer
Fenestra Technologies Corp.
http://www.fenestra.com/