On 01/11/2007, at 2:37 AM, Neil Mitchell wrote:

My guess is that the native code generator in Clean beats GHC, which
wouldn't be too surprising as GHC is currently rewriting its CPS and
Register Allocator to produce better native code.

I discussed this with Rinus Plasmeijer (chief designer of Clean) a couple of years ago, and if I remember correctly, he said that the native code generator in Clean was very good, and a significant reason why Clean produces (relatively) fast executables. I think he said that they had an assembly programming guru on their team. (Apologies to Rinus if I am mis-remembering the conversation).

At the time I was impressed by how fast Clean could recompile itself.

Cheers,
Bernie.