Bernie wrote:

I discussed this with Rinus Plasmeijer (chief designer of Clean) a couple of years ago, and if I remember correctly, he said that the native code generator in Clean was very good, and a significant reason why Clean produces (relatively) fast executables. I think he said that they had an assembly programming guru on their team. (Apologies to Rinus if I am mis-remembering the conversation).

That guru would be John van Groningen...

If I understood correctly, and I think I did, John is now working on a Haskell front end for the Clean compiler---which is actually quite interesting in the light of the present discussion.

Cheers,

  Stefan