Peter Verswyvelen wrote:
No GLUT is not bundled with GHC 6.8.1 anymore. Yes, that is weird.

It was bundled with GHC 6.6.1.

OK, so it was there, but now it isn't, and this fact isn't documented.

Should I file a ticket for this? (To get the release notes amended if nothing else.) Was GLUT removed on purpose, or was this an oversight? (Is it still there on Unix?)

But installing it for GHC 6.8.1 is really
easy, but you have to install msys/mingw first.

Not keen on installing a Unix emulator just so I can install stuff from Hackage. (Surely this shouldn't be necessary?)

So if you want to do some experiments with OpenGL without having to install
other stuff, use GHC 6.6.1.

I'm only trying to get this Tetris program to work. I'm more likely to want to play with Cairo or SDL. ;-)

*** Don't give up, it's lots of fun once it works ***

LOL! I'm sure. ;-)

Yeah, Windows users are a bit second class citizens when it comes to
Haskell, but that's the way it works. Personally I can understand that.

Well, they say there aren't many Windows users which makes it harder to test. I can understand that... Heck, if I knew what buttons to press, I'd have a go at improving the situation. (We already fixed is so that the new streams thing on Hackage works out-of-the-box on Windows now... or at least will do with the next release of Cabal.)

Windows is really a mess. My first computer with a real OS was an Amiga, and
I must say that I miss that elegance and simplicity in *all* modern OSes.
For many people, Linux seems to have that elegance. Personally, I don't see
it, but I don't see that in Windows either...

I too have an Amiga sitting next to my desk.

Windows suffers from extreme featuritus. Worse even than Yahoo! does.

Unix seems to suffer from being an ah-hoc thing encrusted with 28,000 layers of backwards compatibility. It's far too messy for my liking. Much more *reliable* than Windows, but seemingly no more elegant conceptually.

I keep dreaming that one day I'll write a propper OS... but (surprise!) it hasn't happened yet.

Anyway, this is drifting radically off-topic!