Malcolm Wallace wrote:
Simon Peyton-Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

What would be v helpful would be a regression suite aimed at
performance, that benchmarked GHC (and perhaps other Haskell
compilers) against a set of programs, regularly, and published the
results on a web page, highlighting regressions.

Something along these lines already exists - the nobench suite.
    darcs get http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/nobench
It originally compared ghc, ghci, hugs, nhc98, hbc, and jhc.
(Currently the results at
    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/nobench.html
compare only variations of ghc fusion rules.)

I have just been setting up my own local copy - initial results at
    http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/nobench/powerpc/results.html
where I intend to compare ghc from each of the 6.4, 6.6 and 6.8
branches, against nhc98 and any other compilers I can get working.
I have powerpc, intel, and possibly sparc machines available.

That's great.  BTW, GHC has a performance bug affecting calendar at the moment:

The best GHC options for this program might therefore be -O2 -fno-state-hack. Or perhaps just -O0.

Like Hackage, it should be easy to add a new program.

Is submitting a patch against the darcs repo sufficiently easy?
Should we move the master darcs repo to somewhere more accessible, like
code.haskell.org?

Yes, please do.  When I have a chance I'd like to help out.

It'd be good to measure run-time,

Done...

but allocation count, peak memory use, code size,
compilation time are also good (and rather more stable) numbers to
capture.

Nobench does already collect code size, but does not yet display it in
the results table.  I specifically want to collect compile time as well.
Not sure what the best way to measure allocation and peak memory use
are?

With GHC you need to use "+RTS -s" and then slurp in the <prog>.stat file. You can also get allocations, peak memory use, and separate mutator/GC times this way.

Cheers,
        Simon