On Apr 20, 2008, at 15:41 , Andrew Coppin wrote:

1. Does running the GC force all threads to stop? I know some GC designs do this, but I have no idea how the one GHC implements works.

2. Is the GC still single-threaded? (GHC 6.8.2 here.)

Full GC is single-threaded and stops the entire program, yes. IIRC GHC's runtime tries to do incremental GC to minimize the need for a full GC.

3. Is there any way for a running Haskell program to find out how much heap space is currently allocated / used / free? I know you can find out how much wall time and CPU time you've used, but I couldn't find anything for RAM usage.

You're looking for "heap profiling" in the GHC manual.

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] [EMAIL PROTECTED]