On Wed, 14 May 2008, Dan Weston wrote:

Henning Thielemann wrote:

http://www.verein-zwanzigeins.de/

So I've always wondered, if you are writing down a number being dictated (slowly) by someone else, like 234, do you write the 2, then leave space and write the 4, then go back and fill in with 3? Or do you push the 4 onto the stack until the 3 arrives, and write 34 at once.

Of course, we write down 243, realize the mistake and rewrite the number. :-) Actually, many pupils have problems with the mixed order of digits and give solutions like this one in examinations:
  8 * 8 = 46
because they write the digits as they speak them. That's one of the reasons the mentioned assocation was founded for.