On 2008 Aug 31, at 12:01, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
On 2008 Aug 31, at 11:20, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
Where do the filehandle structures live in the latter case?

The place you clearly think so little of that you need to ask: process-global (or process-local depending on how you think about it) storage. And everything in that storage must have locking.

You'll have to look at specific implementations. One that I can think of off the top of my head is Perl 5's "ithreads"; there is a distinguished allocation store which is global to all ithreads, and the interpreter instance gives you primitives for locking and mutexing (see "use threads::shared;").

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] [EMAIL PROTECTED]