On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

On 2008 Aug 31, at 13:20, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:

I'm afraid I don't see how this generalises to sharing something across an entire process where the things that want to do the sharing are not in or controlled by the same shared library. In particular the filehandle structures required for buffered I/O need to be common to every single piece of code in the process that might want to use them, no matter what language or language implementation that code uses.

For that you probably want to look at how ld.so.1 and libc interact to share the malloc pool and the stdin/stdout/stderr, among others.

If buffered IO is handled by libc rather than by specific language runtimes, then the same mechanism of using global variables inside libc would work fine; but this technique doesn't extend to providing process-scope shared state for library code that might be loaded multiple times with no knowledge of the other instances.

Ganesh