Ryan Ingram wrote:
It's pretty simple, I think.

type ExpGen = ReaderT [String] Gen

arbExp :: ExpGen Expression
-- exercise for the reader

instance Arbitrary Expression where
    arbitrary = runReaderT arbExp []
    coarbitrary = coarbExp

coarbExp (Var s)      = variant 0 . coarbitrary s
coarbExp (Apply a b)  = variant 1 . coarbitrary a . coarbitrary b
coarbExp (Lambda s e) = variant 2 . coarbitrary s . coarbitrary e

instance Arbitrary Char where
  arbitrary   = elements "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_"
  coarbitrary = coarbitrary . fromEnum

o_O

I love the way other people have wildly different ideas of "simple" than me. I'm staring at this and completely failing to comprehend it. (But then, anything with "co" in the name generally makes little sense to me...) Why on earth would you need a reader monad? Surely if you want to add bound variables and then later query what variables are bound, you'd want a state monad? Hmm, I'm completely lost here.