On 20 Feb 2009, at 23:41, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

Hello Thomas,

Saturday, February 21, 2009, 1:19:47 AM, you wrote:

I'm not sure what you're getting at Bulat √ it's been demonstrated
that ghc is slower than gcc for most cases at the moment (many
benchmarks will back this up), *however*, it's also easily verified
that ghc has had significantly less effort directed at it than gcc and other imperative compilers, thus, there are many places it can improve
greatly.

of course. what fool will say that ghc cannot be optimized the same
way as gcc? if we spent the same amount of time for improving ghc
back-end as was spent for gcc (tens or hundreds man-years?), then
*low-level* Haskell code will become as fast as C one, while remaining
several times slower to write

Considering Haskell compilers have lots more guarenteed conditions to go on (like referential transparency etc), I'd imagine actually that given the same amount of effort, they could compile Haskell code to *much* faster code than C.

In this case, you've pointed out a really great source of heavy
optimisation.  Thanks a lot :)  Now perhaps it might be an idea to be
constructive, rather than trying to stand like nelson going "HA HA" at
the people with the inferior compiler.

ghc is superior compiler and it's my main instrument. but it can't
make coffee and doesn't contain sophisticated code generator. it's why
i dissuade from writing video codes in haskell and i don't like
situation when someone too lazy to test speed yourself tell us tales
and attack me when i say about real situation

I'd hardly say that dons is too lazy – he has after all contributed rather large chunks of code to coming up with good examples, and optimising ghc. Secondly, I don't see him telling tales either – he's being very honest about the performance of Haskell here, and how it might be improved. Finally, I'd hardly call computing a constant in an arbitrarily complex way a "real situation".

I think someone needs to get off their high horse and reflect a little.