On 21 Feb 2009, at 00:10, Ahn, Ki Yung wrote:

Thomas Davie wrote:
You need look no further than the debian language shootout that things really aren't as bad as you're making out – Haskell comes in in general less than 3x slower than gcc compiled C. Of note, of all the managed languages, this is about the fastest – none of the other languages that offer safety and garbage collection etc get as close as Haskell does.
Bob

OCaml and Clean seems to be pretty fast too.

Very true :). As does C#, but using MS's compiler not mono. I think my conclusion from this thread is "stop arguing, someone being wrong on the internet is not worth it", oh and "cool, new possibly major optimisation for ghc".

And finally, something I'd known all along – Haskell is plenty fast enough for writing real world programs, it's not as fast as C, but I don't care – I write so much better code so much faster in it that the tradeoff becomes worth it.

Sorry for getting into the slagging match so much, and count me out of this one from now on.