Judah Jacobson wrote:
I'm not sure, but there might be some order of flags or packages you
could give to Cabal which would cause it to link to readline first; I
think if gcc gets "-lreadline -ledit" in that order then it will do
what you want.  Passing "-v" or "-v3" to cabal build should let you
see what's going on.

Yes, -v3 indeed shows that edit comes before readline.

Adding this extra line fixes it:

  Extra-Libraries:  readline

Is adding that extra line a robust, portable and documented way of solving the problem?

Whew, I'm really glad it's fixed now. It took me half a day to narrow the problem down. :-)

Thanks,

Martijn.