Peter Verswyvelen wrote:
Something like this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force-based_algorithms

Yes, I'm all for it :-) The only problem is finding time to do it :-( Although QuickSilver might be able to pull this off easily?

A basic version is easy, yes.

http://roobarb.jellybean.co.uk/~jules/forces.1.tgz

It makes no attempt to analyze when stable state is reached, has no way to add heuristics, has no output or save format, or indeed input format. I haven't hacked it into vacuum because I don't have GHC 6.10 installed.

All that being said, it's a quick proof of concept, it comes with some fun examples including most of the platonic solids and a couple of chemical modules. It may be a starting point for someone wanting to do something cleverer.

Compile with -threaded. It bundles my simple Reactive implementation which separates the framerate from the simulation speed and lets you rotate / zoom in/out.

obligatory screenshot:

http://roobarb.jellybean.co.uk/~jules/Picture%2012.png

Jules