On Feb 21, 2010, at 20:17 , Jeremy Shaw wrote:
The PS3 does do something though. If we were doing a write *and* read select on the socket, the read select would wakeup. So, it is trying to notify us that something has happened, but we are not seeing it because we are only looking at the write select().

Earlier the OP claimed this would happen within a few minutes if he seeked in a movie. If it's that reproducible, it should be easy to capture a tcpdump and attach it to an email (or pastebin it), allowing us to determine what really happens.

Also, Donn, you are incorrect about invalidating premises; we know the connection is going away, we can infer it's not going away normally, that's why there have been comments about it sending a FIN and dropping the connection entirely (bypassing the shutdown handshake), or sending an RST, etc.

(I'd also be interested in finding out if OpenSolaris or FreeBSD has the same problem, but that may be too difficult to test easily. I still find it highly unlikely that loss of a connection only wakes the read end in general, and would absolutely not be surprised if this were some odd corner case in the Linux TCP stack. Sadly, I don't have a PS3 (yet, if ever) and I don't know of any streaming software for non-hacked Wiis.)

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allb...@kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allb...@ece.cmu.edu