Dear John,

Am 28.10.10 23:57, schrieb John Goerzen:
On 10/27/2010 10:08 AM, Günther Schmidt wrote:
Dear Malcolm,

since there is no mail client library even after 10+ years I suggest to
rethink the approach, because frankly, it's not working.

Why do you keep suggesting this?

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/WashNGo

Thanks for this, I wasn't aware that it also offered email handling.

There is no need for a mail client library on many platforms.  Just
pipe the data to /usr/sbin/sendmail and poof.  Done.

That would work well for sending (on Unix), but not for receiving.

Has it occurred to you that there is no mail client library because
there is no need for one?

No, to be honest, it never has. I absolutely cannot conceive of it. It'd be like not having HDBC for instance and having to roll my own database driver. It wouldn't have mattered how great a language haskell is, had it not had HDBC I would have had no choice but to drop it and move on. Database connectivity to me is one of the essential things I need to be able to do, and so is email, as is xml, as is http.

Frankly I am unimpressed with monster 10,000-SLOC mail client
libraries that make it a lot harder for me to pipe some stuff to
sendmail.

Well it's not necessarily only about sending mail, it's more about the whole shebang one wants / needs to do with mail.

Günther