On 2011 Jun 9, at 16:59, Chris Smith wrote:

Ae you looking to do this in a web application, or client-side? Since one of your requirements is to display a typeset equation, that makes a bit of difference. In a web-based setting, the best way to do that is probably MathML, whereas a GUI will be a bit harder.

Yes, this pretty much summarizes my (ignorant) thoughts on it so far (GUI: hard; MathML: relatively easy), which is why I suspect that running it as a local web application might be the simplest way to go.