Hi all,

Stephanie wrote:

> Simon,
>
> Why is an Appendix is better than just a footnote in the Standard that
> says "we aren't sure, one way or the other, whether FDs will stay in
> the language for ever."  Why do we need this extra structure?
>
> I'm worried that this extra structure could be confusing. In
> particular, if someone says "this program is pure Haskell'"  what will
> that mean? In practice, will it be clear whether pure Haskell'
> includes the Appendix?

I agree with this. If there is a need to make it clear that some
features are particularly likely to change, I can't see why that
cannot be achieved in the main body of the report. Through a foot note,
or through a highlighted paragraph of some kind.

I worry that tearing apart closely related topics is going to
be difficult as well as resulting in a confusing and somewhat
unstructured report.

The appendix idea has also been mentioned in other contexts, specifically for records, and I don't like it there either for the
same reasons.

Best,

/Henrik

--
Henrik Nilsson
School of Computer Science and Information Technology