On 2018-10-07 11:32 PM, Philippa Cowderoy wrote:

I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest a candidate with a specific problem, a specific goal and a possible solution to its problem. So, a modest proposal:

- Standardise OverloadedStrings as an available-but-disabled feature
- Allow default statements for the IsString class without OverloadedStrings, using that type for all string literals - At some future stage, we can use this to migrate away from [Char] as the default string literal type - The Haskell2010 pragma and its successors can be used to ensure code written to standard doesn't suffer bit rot when migration happens

The second bullet point could use some clarification. Would you mind commenting on the existing defaulting proposal at https://github.com/haskell/rfcs/pull/18 ?